Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Altec lover

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    im using a couple different active crossovers at the moment. a rane 3 way stereo, the ac23b. and an ashly 4000. its a 4 way stereo rack mount that has adjustable crossover slopes, that ive found very nice to use. one of the really nice parts of the ashly is that i can cross out of my subs as low as 40 hz! currently im crossing into my mid bass horns at 60 hz, which is just a little higher than my horns unload. while the rane starts at 70 hz. in my opinion that is too high to get out of the subwoofers, unless ofcourse your mid bass woofers dont like the kick drum. ive seen an awful lot of folks cross out of their subs at as high as 250 hz, thats just crazy! i think they commonly refer to this as sweeping the mids
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  2. #12
    Hostboard Member theebadone's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2009
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    im using a couple different active crossovers at the moment. a rane 3 way stereo, the ac23b. and an ashly 4000. its a 4 way stereo rack mount that has adjustable crossover slopes, that ive found very nice to use. one of the really nice parts of the ashly is that i can cross out of my subs as low as 40 hz! currently im crossing into my mid bass horns at 60 hz, which is just a little higher than my horns unload. while the rane starts at 70 hz. in my opinion that is too high to get out of the subwoofers, unless ofcourse your mid bass woofers dont like the kick drum. ive seen an awful lot of folks cross out of their subs at as high as 250 hz, thats just crazy! i think they commonly refer to this as sweeping the mids
    I don't wanna have to use a sub with the votts, There has to be a way to get more bottom end out of em. Thats why i wanna try an active, i was told that at 800hz the votts will sound more laid back and less detailed than if you cross them at 500hz. Crossed at 500 they will sound more detailed and kinda give you that in your face sound the horns are known for. Maybe adding an eq/attenuator like whats in the santiagos would help bring out the bottom end. It seems to work fine on the santiagos, even though the 411 is a little better than the 515 or 416 in the bass department. I guess we will have to experiment to find what works best with the votts to get more bottom end without using a sub. I have heard of guys crossing the 416A and 802 at 1200 hz but haven't heard the results. Maybe a lot of it has to do with what we are using as amplification, i know the mcintosh is not known for bloated bass, its just the opposite. One of us will come up with the winning combo i'm sure. Most of the fun is finding it

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    I think the choice of x-over point will depend on your taste and the diaphragm in your driver. My choice on the 511 would be about 800Hz, but that's not fixed in stone.
    The idea is to cross it wherever it sounds best. That's the most important thing.

    You should be able to get low bass out of a 416 if the box is tuned right. I did.

  4. #14
    Hostboard Member theebadone's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2009
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    I think the choice of x-over point will depend on your taste and the diaphragm in your driver. My choice on the 511 would be about 800Hz, but that's not fixed in stone.
    The idea is to cross it wherever it sounds best. That's the most important thing.

    You should be able to get low bass out of a 416 if the box is tuned right. I did.
    I'm gonna be givin it one heck of a try, lol. I just read over on A.K. someone just found a pair of A-7s with 604s in them for 100 bucks. what a nice find that would be.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by theebadone View Post
    I don't wanna have to use a sub with the votts, There has to be a way to get more bottom end out of em. Thats why i wanna try an active, i was told that at 800hz the votts will sound more laid back and less detailed than if you cross them at 500hz. Crossed at 500 they will sound more detailed and kinda give you that in your face sound the horns are known for. Maybe adding an eq/attenuator like whats in the santiagos would help bring out the bottom end. It seems to work fine on the santiagos, even though the 411 is a little better than the 515 or 416 in the bass department. I guess we will have to experiment to find what works best with the votts to get more bottom end without using a sub. I have heard of guys crossing the 416A and 802 at 1200 hz but haven't heard the results. Maybe a lot of it has to do with what we are using as amplification, i know the mcintosh is not known for bloated bass, its just the opposite. One of us will come up with the winning combo i'm sure. Most of the fun is finding it
    The crossover has nothing to do with the bottom end.
    Add EQ. The 416 woof can handle it unless you want to run way high power.
    I had A-7's for years, and actually added 1/4" circular plywood spacers between the woof and cab to keep the cone from hitting the cab on high excursions.
    BTW, I cut around 300 hz and added below 50 hz.
    And quit dissing subs! Altec made some great ones....I have a pair of 8184's and they kick ass!
    I replaced a pair of 411-8A subs that I built.
    BTW, except for the subs, I'm all tube. PP-300B amps, home brew.

    I'm going to go listen now.

    Ron

  6. #16
    Hostboard Member theebadone's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2009
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    The crossover has nothing to do with the bottom end.
    Add EQ. The 416 woof can handle it unless you want to run way high power.
    I had A-7's for years, and actually added 1/4" circular plywood spacers between the woof and cab to keep the cone from hitting the cab on high excursions.
    BTW, I cut around 300 hz and added below 50 hz.
    And quit dissing subs! Altec made some great ones....I have a pair of 8184's and they kick ass!
    I replaced a pair of 411-8A subs that I built.
    BTW, except for the subs, I'm all tube. PP-300B amps, home brew.

    I'm going to go listen now.

    Ron
    Well Ron, i have thought about this for a while now, if i cross these components at 500 i'm not gonna be able to throw a lot of power at them, without fryin a h.f. driver. I plan on powering them with a mcintosh mc-250 rated at 50 wpc. but actually bench test at 70 wpc. anything bigger than that and it could be bad. I plan on buying an active xo, tune the cabinets, and play with equalizing them. And im not dissing subs i just dont think they are needed with votts, when they house some of the best woofers ever made. YMMV

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by theebadone View Post
    someone just found a pair of A-7s with 604s in them for 100 bucks
    That's nuts!!

    I've heard the 604 in the A-7 (828) cabinet and thought it was really nice. I have a pair of 604-8K here, all GPA reconed and fancy. But they are too deep to fit in my box without modification. Otherwise I'd love to give them a try.

    BTW, the 604s will be up for sale soon. They aren't mine, but I'll be doing the packing and shipping.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec lover

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    ..... But they are too deep to fit in my box without modification. Otherwise I'd love to give them a try.
    The cabinet's in question were "fixed" with a saw to make the 604s fit. Fantastic deal...... yes, I'm a little green :-)
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.